Grandma's Easy Chicken & Dumpling Soup Recipe (Ajngemahtec) Straight From Croatia by 30Seconds Food
Ajngemahtec, a hearty, simple chicken and dumpling soup recipe, is popular in Northern Croatia, especially near Zagreb, the capital. Though some think the soup may also have German origins, you won't care where it comes from after one bite. This soup is just what you need on a fall or winter night.
Cuisine: German / Croatian
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 - 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onions, celery and carrot. Cook until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Add the water, tomato paste and parsley. Season well with salt and pepper. Gently simmer for about 30 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, combine all the dumpling ingredients in a bowl. Do not overmix.
- When soup is done simmering, bring to a boil and add the dumplings by teaspoons full into the soup. Add the peas. Boil for about 5 to 10 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through.
Note: You could add diced potato to the soup. Add it right before you simmer for 30 minutes.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.