Cheesy Baked Spaghetti Casserole Recipe Makes Everyone Happy by Melissa Vickers
Here’s a casserole recipe that can be put together ahead of time, and can be as complicated as you want, depending on whether you make your own sauce or just use a jarred sauce. And it is vegetarian, thanks to the meatless meatballs.
I’m not a vegetarian, though we eat many meatless meals. But my vegan daughter introduced me to the Gardein plant-based meatballs that I prefer over “real” meatballs because they are much less greasy and they just taste great! Note that this recipe as originally written was intended to be cooked in a deep-dish pie pan, but I opted for an 8x8-inch baking pan instead.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 8 ounces spaghetti, cooked, drained and returned to pan
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (divided)
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 20 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 1 package McCormick’s Thick and Zesty Spaghetti Seasoning
- 1 1/2 packages (12.7 ounces) Gardein plant-based meatballs (or your favorite meatballs)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, for topping
Here’s how to make it:
- In a large skillet, add the spaghetti seasoning to the sauce. Heat the sauce until simmering. Add meatballs. Simmer for 10 minutes. Cut the meatballs into small pieces. Reserve some sauce in case your casserole is a little dry, especially when reheating.
- To your pan with cooked and drained spaghetti noodles, add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and stir.
- In a medium bowl, mix sour cream, eggs, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Layer the cooked spaghetti in the bottom of a lightly greased 8x8-inch baking pan. Spread sour cream mixture on top with spatula. Cover with meatball sauce mixture.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 20 minutes. Add 1 cup mozzarella cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Note: If you have a favorite homemade spaghetti sauce, by all means substitute that for the jarred sauce and spaghetti seasoning. And use your favorite meatballs.
We may occasionally reference products or brands in our content based on a contributor’s personal use or opinion. But 30Seconds is in no way affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties or guarantees about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program, which means we may earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
8x8-inch Baking Pans $8 & Up
Spaghetti Noodles $1 & Up
Italian Seasoning $3 & Up
Spaghetti Sauce $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.